Hi folks,

are there any plugins or best-ways to create a kind of extranet. Just a few pages or namespaces with access restrictions?

There is a htaccess solution. Would be fine, but only if there are other solutions.

greetz klml

Read/view access and write/edit access are rather different. You can limit write access via wiki configuration, and even configure it over the web with websetup.

The only way to limit read access is to restrict access to the entire wiki via .htaccess or other web server configuration, preferably combined with use of https. IkiWiki can't limit read access to pages on its own[*], because it's a wiki compiler: when a page is viewed, the web server serves the compiled HTML without IkiWiki being involved.

The best way to integrate access control into IkiWiki would probably be to have a CGI user interface for .htaccess or equivalent - but you'd still have to be careful, because, for instance, if a user can edit public pages, then they can insert a \[[!include]] directive to make the content of a private page public. As a result, the safest way to use it is to keep public and private information in separate wikis.

[*] strictly speaking, it could via a new plugin, but that would defeat many of its advantages

Comment by smcv Sun Apr 15 16:53:44 2012

hi smcv,

when a page is viewed, the web server serves the compiled HTML without IkiWiki being involved.

yes you are right, but I still think its a feature ;)

The best way to integrate access control into IkiWiki would probably be to have a CGI user interface for .htaccess or equivalent - but you'd still have to be careful, because, for instance, if a user can edit public pages, then they can insert a [[!include]] directive to make the content of a private page public.

My usecase is a website with an small internal area, its just for not "so public" files, no private files. And I only have some trusted users.

thx klml

Comment by klml Mon Apr 16 15:57:20 2012