This is the roadmap for ikiwiki development.
Released 29 April 2006.
The 1.X series is no longer supported.
- New improved URLs to pages via
- OpenID support, enabled by default.
- Plugin interface added, with some 60 plugins available, greatly expanding the capabilities of ikiwiki.
- Tags, atom feeds, and generally full-fledged blogging support.
- Fully working utf8.
- Optimisations, approximately 3.5 times as fast as version 1.0.
- Improved scalability to large numbers of pages.
- Improved scalable logo.
- Support for additional revision control systems besides svn: git, tla, mercurial.
- Some support for other markup languages than markdown: rst, textile.
- Unit test suite, with more than 300 tests.
Released 30 April 2007.
The 2.x series is now in maintenance mode. Only security fixes and fixes for really bad bugs will be applied going forward.
Version 3.0 is an opportunity to make significant transitions. Read upgrade to 3.0 for the steps you will need to follow when upgrading your wiki to this version.
The highlights of the changes in version 3.0 include:
- Support for uploading attachments.
- Can rename and remove pages and files via the web.
- Web based setup.
- Blog-style comments as an alternative to Discussion pages.
- Many other new plugins including htmlbalance, format, progress, color, autoindex, cutpaste, hnb, creole, txt, amazon s3, pinger, pingee, edittemplate
- The RecentChanges page is compiled statically, not generated from the CGI.
- Support for additional revision control systems: bzr, monotone
- Support for untrusted git push.
- A new version (3.00) of the plugin API, exporting additional
commonly used functions from
- Nearly everything in ikiwiki is now a plugin, from WikiLinks to page editing, to RecentChanges.
- Far too many bug fixes, features, and enhancements to list here.
Released 31 December, 2008.
The 3.x series is expected to undergo continuing development for some time, adding improvements and new features, but avoiding changes that break backwards compatibility.
compatibility breaking changes
Probably incomplete list:
- Drop old
- Remove compatibility code in
loadindexto handle old index data layouts.
- Make pagespecs match relative by default? (see discussion)
- Flip wikilinks? (see link plugin perhaps too general? and do not make links backwards)
- Enable tagbase by default (so that tag autocreation will work by default).
Note that this is already done for wikis created by
- html5 on by default (some day..)
- Remove support for old
.ikiwiki/comments_pendingand for pending comments located in the srcdir, rather than transient underlay, from comment plugin. That support makes comment moderation slow as it has to check all the old locations.
In general, we try to use ikiwiki-transition or forced rebuilds on upgrade to deal with changes that break compatability. Some things that can't help with.